Sunday, February 05, 2006

dammit

yet another person has asked...no boyfriend? And I'm like, motherfucker? DO YOU SEE ONE? Look, I didn't even get all mad and defensive because I understand...I'm in my late 20s and people think it's strange. But I don't, because I'm picky as hell when it comes to who'll be my man. And I'm sorry but, a lot of people will take just about anybody in their bed, hell I've even been guilty of it a time or two (or three). But I'm kinda done with that. I'm a semi-successful black woman and hell, I'm looking for someone who can a. deal with that like a man and b. deal with his own shit like a man. I don't know how many times I can explain it but I'll try one more time for the slow learners.

The Criteria for being Elle's man are as follows....

  • You must have a job. Even though I currently am unemployed, I have two degrees and am highly employable. You can't be sitting home doing nothing. At the very least, be working on something that will take you to that next level.
  • Kindness.
  • Compassion.
  • Emotional integrity
  • moral integrity
  • INTEGRITY.
  • A car
  • love family (especially, but not overly...your mama)
  • MONOGAMOUS
  • Soulful
  • Trustworthy
  • SECURITY
  • SELF ESTEEM

None of the above are negotiable. I have burned mySELF by dropping even one of these integral pieces off the list, more than once, and received emotional turmoil on the other end of it for my trouble. So no, I don't have a boyfriend. But that's most likely my fault. Because I've had a penchant for attracting and letting in the door, the bad boy, James Dean type that act all hurt and wounded and are just wolves in sheep clothing. So....for what it's worth. Bite ME.

4 comments:

Jameil said...

girl yes!! we could all save ourselves some heart ache if we would get up on this list. i'm just sayin. can you pass this out on the street? i got about 6 friends who need to stop compromising. yes we're all guilty, but its no longer the man's fault when we keep forgiving. i'm gonna add sense of humor. i've heard from a reputable source that it would've made a world of difference in her marriage. you need laughter when times get tough. but i love this list. don't negotiate your soul.

Mrs A. said...

see, i've tried to be "down" and work with brothas who had some or a few cuz i figured if he seemed to be working toward completing my list...it's all good, right? WRONG!!! they have to come in the door with the prerequisites and be working on any "extras." it just doesn't pay to try to work with folks...it's never really worth the struggle and headaches!!

Elle Willa said...

jameil1922---yeah, sense of humor is key. Can't deal wit no angry, skulkin' dude...


Miss A.-- OH-KAY!!! *insert girlfriend high-five slap here*

Natasha said...

I read this today:
"career-driven men prefer to marry old-fashioned women who are less intellectual and less ambitious than themselves. The higher a girl's IQ, the less likely she is to find herself married. Every 16-point rise in IQ signifies a 40 per cent drop in the chance of wedding bells. But every 16-point rise in a man's IQ means a 35% greater chance of him attractinga spouse."
and thought I. Am. Fucked. lol.